Density is a "must-know" concept and skill in every physical science or chemistry class. This color by number activity provides a fun way for students to review and reinforce mass, volume, and density calculations. Students will complete a set of 24 questions and practice problems. Each correct answer will lead to a code for coloring a section of the coloring page. As students progress through the questions, the picture slowly comes to life. This resource includes student worksheets, two coloring page versions, complete answer key, and a teacher guide. Students love to color!
*Please note that prior instruction is needed before these practice problems are attempted.
What is included in this resource?
- Full Size Student Coloring Page PDF - Not Editable
- Half Size Student Coloring Page PDF - Not Editable
- Student Questions Worksheet - Editable
- Coloring Page Answer Key
- Questions Worksheet Answer Key
- Solutions to all density calculations
- Teacher Guide
What will the students be doing?
- Students are given the five-page handout containing 24 problems and the coloring page (full size or half size) you have selected.
- Students will complete each question. As each question is completed, students will color the appropriate sections on the coloring page.
- As students progress through the activity, the picture comes to life.
- You can grade this assignment in a snap just by looking at the student’s finished coloring page.
What concepts are covered?
This activity consists of 24 questions and practice problems on density.
- Questions 1 - 9: Students will answer questions about mass, volume, units of mass and volume, and density.
- Problems 10 - 24: Students will complete 15 practice problems using the density equation.
What materials are needed?
- One coloring page per student
- One 5-Page Question handout per student
- Set of colored pencils: Students will need these 11 colors - Yellow, red, light blue, dark blue, green, purple, orange, pink, brown, black, and gray.
How can this resource be used?
- Complete as a whole classroom activity as you teach your lessons on density
- Include as part of your "science skills" instruction
- Homework Assignment
- Quiz on Density
- Substitute Teacher Folder Activity
Related resources include the following:
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well: