In this physical science or chemistry lab, students will use the relationship between mass and volume to determine the density of a variety of objects and liquids. Students will be using a metric ruler, a lab balance, and a graduated cylinder to determine the mass and volume of regular-shaped objects, irregular-shaped objects, and liquids. From this lab data, students will calculate the density of each object or liquid.
What is the purpose of this lab?
- To practice the techniques used to determine mass and volume.
- To learn to calculate the density of a variety of objects.
Metric ruler, Glass squares, Wood Block, Calculator, Balance, 100-mL Graduated cylinder, Glass beads Pennies, Copper strip, Rubber stopper, Cork, 10-mL graduated cylinder, Distilled water, Ethanol, Vegetable oil.
What will the students be doing??
- Students will observe the relationship between mass and volume in determining density.
- Students will determine the mass and volume of a variety of materials in order to calculate the density.
- Students will determine the volume of regular-shaped objects, irregular-shaped objects, and liquids.
- Students use their laboratory data to determine the density of a variety of objects and liquids.
- In additional to their density calculations, students will answer 5 analysis questions.
- Students will gain practice in using basic laboratory equipment: Metric ruler, balance, and graduated cylinder.
What is included in this product?
- Editable lab handouts that are ready to be printed and passed out to your students. (5-page student handout.)
- Complete instructions.
- 5-page Teacher Guide containing tips, tricks, and suggestions.
- Complete Answer Key containing sample data, completed calculations and all answers.
- Everything you need for the successful completion of this lab.
Editable handouts are included.
Related resources include:
Matter and Change Bundle (Powerpoint and Notes)
Lab: Conservation of Mass
Lab: The Boiling Points of Liquids
Test: Matter and Change
Density Practice Problems
Quiz: Matter and Density
Matter and Change Jeopardy Powerpoint Review Game
Atomic Structure Worksheet
Matter and Change Crossword Puzzle
Matter and Change Set of 2 Homework Assignments
Matter and Change 4 Mini Labs
Metric Measurement Task Cards - Set of 90
Matter and Change Task Cards
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page