Time to brush up on dental health knowledge with this week-long unit for kindergarten and first grade! This comprehensive unit includes detailed daily lesson plans with literature suggestions and reading, writing, math, science, handwriting and art activities. It also includes links to videos that complement this unit.
Click on the PREVIEW to take a closer look at the lesson plans and printables.
Teacher Features You’ll Love:
- Detailed daily lesson plans
- Week-at-a-glance planning guide
- Key concepts and objectives
- Extensive literature list
- Video links and QR codes
- Activity directions and printable templates
What is Covered in This Unit?
Day 1: What are teeth made of?
- Know-Wonder-Learn graphic organizer
- Parts of a tooth playdough model activity
- Parts of a tooth diagram to label
- Why Do We Brush Our Teeth? video
Day 2: How do I take care of my teeth?
- How to Care for My Teeth craft
- The Attack of Plaque "Eggs"periment with observation sheets
- "This is the Way We Brush Our Teeth" song
- "Brusha, Brusha, Rinse, and Spit" dental health emergent reader: short, fun rhyming book with repetition that includes the -it family words it, fit, bit, quit, and spit. Easy for non-readers to memorize. *includes digital version of the reader in Google Slides*
- Healthy/Not Healthy food for dental health sort
Day 3: What is a dentist?
- Going to the Dentist graphic organizer
- Meet the Dentist graphic organizer (Dentists can/have/are)
- Visiting the Dentist video
Day 4: What is the Tooth Fairy?
- What Does the Tooth Fairy Do With Our Teeth? writing prompt
- Tooth Fairy Tales writing prompt
- Loose Tooth Tales writing prompt
- Why Do We Have Baby Teeth? video
Day 5: Are animals' teeth like mine? (Types of teeth)
- Venn diagram to compare/contrast people and animal teeth
- Weird Animal Teeth video
- Brushing Up on Dental Health craft with templates
- How to Brush My Teeth writing template
- ten frames
- place value: tens and ones
- ordering numbers
- reading a graph
- creating a graph
- measuring with nonstandard units
- addition to 10, 20, 100
- subtraction of numbers to 20
- comparing numbers to 100 (>,<, or =)
- word problems
- time to hour and half hour
- "Brushing Up on Math" math center (addition & subtraction)
- beginning, medial and ending sounds (consonants and vowels)
- beginning and ending consonant blends and digraphs
- vowel team "ee"
- word work (use letters in the word "dentist" to make new words)
- sight word story
- compound words
- eleven word wall cards
- write-the-room writing center (dental health words)
- "Brushing Up on Writing" literacy center (use with the alphabet, sight words or spelling words)
Not in need of the whole unit but looking for fun dental health activities? Two parts of this unit may be purchased separately in my store. You do not need to purchase them if you buy the unit.
Note: This unit was completely revised on 02/03/2020. If you have previously purchased it, please redownload it for new and updated material. :)
Questions? Please feel to email me at email@example.com.
Thanks so much for stopping by!