This is a 3 week unit of work that teaches all the skills to write a descriptive poem then perform this at the end of the unit. The book is a rich text by an excellent writer that helps support the unit as it is based about the after effects of a hurricane. Pupils really enjoy the creative process of this unit as they get to paint elaborate and engaging pictures in the reader's minds.
I have included every resource you need to teach this unit tomorrow. Also below I have listed all of the learning objectives from the unit of work.
Stage 1- Stimulate and generate- Learning outcomes
• To write a descriptive poem.
• To find the meaning of words.
• To write a fact file.
• To use drama to explore characters’ feelings.
• To read and perform a poem.
Stage 2 - Capture, Sift and Sort- Learning outcomes
• To recognise the key features of descriptive poetry.
• To write similes.
• To write alliteration.
• To write about all 5 senses.
• To use personification to describe objects.
• To write metaphors.
• To use descriptive language to engage the reader.
Stage 3 - Create refine evaluate- Learning outcomes
• To plan and organise my ideas to effectively support my writing.
• To revise, edit evaluate and improve my writing.
• To perform poetry.
• Hurricanes LOs PowerPoint
• Hurricane Articulate cards made from Hurricanes Word Mat
• Hurricanes Word Mat
• Facts about Hurricanes cards
• Fact file template
• Descriptive Poems x3
• Lesson 6 - ARE + GDS
• Lesson 6 – WT
• Lesson 7 – Photo
• Lesson 7- Simile WT
• Lesson 8 - S Word
• Lesson 8 - Simile WT
• Lesson 9
• Lesson 11 - To write metaphors
• Lesson 12 - Pictures
• Success Criteria for Descriptive Poetry Display
• Success Criteria for Descriptive Poetry
Stimulate and generate = This usually starts with a hook to interest the class where the class realise who they are going to write for so they have a clear purpose and audience. Activities can include reading excellent model texts, drama or researching more about the author or the content of the book.
Capture, sift and sort = This is the part of the unit where pupils look at key features, practise skills they will need in order to complete the final piece or new learning for objectives they have not learnt yet.
Create, refine, evaluate = This is where you bring all you have learnt together and plan the final piece before you write it and then edit it to improve the piece. This can include self, peer or teacher led reviewing.