Help your students develop their writing skills through structured lessons that include models, gradual release, peer feedback, and more!
This download includes tools and resources designed to carry students through lessons to help them understand, develop, and enhance their descriptive writing skills.
The following resources are included in the packet:
• A step-by-step Teaching Outline—an outline for progressing through the lessons and resources. Includes possible learning targets for each phase of instruction and ideas for anchor charts.
• A Descriptive Words and Phrases PowerPoint —A mini-lesson which includes an introduction to descriptive writing, an example showing the power of word choice, and a quick gradual release activity (I Do, We Do, You Do) for practice.
• PPT Notes printout (with teaching notes for the slides)
• Descriptive Writing handout for students (includes criteria for success)
• Sensory Words handout
• Peer Feedback Guidelines handout
• Teacher Model Paragraph (for use with teaching Peer Feedback handout)
• Blank graphic organizer (Bubble Map)
• Optional 5-Column Sensory Organizer for differentiation
• Quick Write Prompts(28 prompts—11 sentence rewrites, 17 paragraph prompts) for daily practice or homework.
**Note: The Zip File contains 2 files—the PowerPoint (12 slides) and the Instructional Packet (25 pages-PDF).