- Ready to get students excited about learning all month long? Then, you and your students are going to love this set of 5 print-and-teach units. Just download these units and get teaching! The units perfectly pair together, address critical ELA skills, and provide fun lessons to learn and teach ov$36.45$26.99Save $9.46
- Save BIG with this set of 12 writing units! Meet every single writing standard as students progress through 12 engaging and detailed units. This writing unit bundle includes units for Narrative, Expository, Persuasive, Descriptive, Memoir, Biography, Speech, Opinion, Poetry, Letter, Myth, and Fabl$113.38$99.99Save $13.39
- Product Description
From the very start of this 10-day Descriptive Writing unit students are hooked! That’s because they’re required to write a descriptive pet sketch essay for an imaginary “Most Unusual Pet” contest. The contest is imaginary and so is their pet! That’s right, students have the freedom to select any type of animal to be their pet. That means that they might own a wildebeest, walrus, or flying squirrel! They love it! After researching their animal and progressing through every step of the writing process the end result is a descriptive essay that includes all the critical components of the genre…and a class of students eager to share their writing!
During this 10-day Descriptive Writing unit, students will write a descriptive essay about an imaginary pet. After gaining an understanding of the critical elements of descriptive writing and reviewing a sample essay, they’ll select an unusual imaginary pet. They’ll conduct mini-research on the animal they picked. Then, they’ll begin writing a descriptive pet sketch essay. In their descriptive essays students will combine factual information about the animal they selected with fictional details about their life with the pet. Students will include the critical components of descriptive writing in their essays like sensory details, rich, vivid descriptions, figurative language, and precise details. Students will work through the writing process and end up with a descriptive essay that never names the type of animal that they own. Instead, their vivid descriptions will make it easy for the reader to guess their imaginary pet!
Great news! This resource includes a traditional PDF version of the student writing packet, as well as a link for Google Slides. This means that this resource is ready for Google Classroom! The digital version of the packet is accessible from any computer and allows students to complete their work online. You’ll find links for digital versions of the student writing packet and the grading rubric included with this resource.
This detailed Descriptive Writing unit includes:
• Extremely detailed daily lesson plans (10)
• Student Packet
--- Descriptive Writing Guided Notes
--- Writing a Descriptive Pet Sketch Assignment Overview and RAFT
--- Sample Descriptive Essay – “We Call Him Cuddles”
--- Descriptive Writing Critical Components Graphic Organizer
--- Research Tasks and Record Sheet
--- Prewriting – Brainstorm Chart (2)
--- Prewriting – Essay Structure Guided Outline (3)
--- First Draft Guide
--- Revising – Developing a Lead
--- Revising – Vivid Details
--- Revising – Sensory Details
--- Revising – Show Rather Than Tell
--- Revising – Figurative Language
--- Revising Checklist
--- Editing Checklist
--- Peer Conferencing Guide
• Descriptive Writing Pet Sketch Essay Rubric
• Descriptive Writing Listening Guide
• Envelope Foldable (for essay publication)
• Animal Clue Card (for essay publication)
• Instructional Answer Keys
• Sample Responses for prewriting and revising (10)
You may also like…
- Narrative Writing Unit
- This or That Reading Response Prompts (20)
- Conflict Mini-Unit
- Reading Comprehension Skills - Mini-Unit SUPER BUNDLE! Making Inferences, Main Idea, Predictions, Sequencing, Cause and Effect, and Context Clues
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
Brain Waves Instruction