* A Best Seller* This is an 8-day writing unit, complete with everything you'll need to teach your students the fun of descriptive writing. This can be adapted for grades 3-6. I've taught this to 4th and 5th graders.
In a nutshell, your students will be describing a monster that they draw, using descriptive language. A teacher example is given for students to practice. You will read the teacher example to your class, they will draw what they think the monster looks like, and then students get to see how closely they drew the monster the teacher was describing.
Students will write a 5-8 paragraph descriptive essay. A complete writing guide is included with this unit.
What you'll get:
- A day-by-day pacing guide (8 days total)
- A descriptive writing mini-lesson via PPT (25 slides- with student interaction)
- A teacher example
- An art project built into the writing unit
- Writing guide for students
- Reflection Guide
- Peer Evaluation
I have taught Monster Writing for many years! Teaching writing can be very tricky for elementary aged students. This is a fun and entertaining way to teach descriptive writing skills. I like to teach it during October to fit with the Halloween theme. However, it does not need to be taught during this time.
As always, this unit is aligned to the common core: 5.W.3
I appreciate feedback on all of my products. If you see any errors in this product, please contact me directly and I will make any necessary changes. Thank you!