Descriptive Writing Unit: Place Paragraph (Google Classroom Compatible)
- Google Apps™
What educators are saying
Also included in
- Save and help your students develop the craft of writing with this Writing Unit Bundle! The bundle includes a Persuasive Writing Unit, Descriptive Writing Unit, and Myth Writing Unit...over 25 days of instruction!Digital Version Included - The writing units in this resource include a traditional PDPrice $19.99Original Price $23.97Save $3.98
In this seven-day Descriptive Writing Unit students utilize the steps for writing (pre-writing, writing, revising, editing, and publishing) in order to describe a place in a detailed paragraph. Lessons and mini-lessons include: effective pre-writing, writing lead sentences, putting details in order, using transitions, avoiding overused words, writing descriptive sentences, self-editing, and peer editing.
Digital Version Included - This resource includes a traditional PDF version of the student writing packet, as well as a link for Google Slides. This means that this resource is ready for Google Classroom! The digital version of the packet is accessible from any computer and allows students to complete their work online. You’ll find links for digital versions of the student writing packet and the grading rubric included with this resource.
*** Great News! This unit is included in this set of 3 writing units!. Click HERE to check out and SAVE on the bundle of Persuasive, Descriptive and Myth writing units! (25 days of writing instruction!) ***
Common Core State Standards:
- W.3, W.4, W.5, W.10
- L.1, L.2, L.3, L.5
Skills Developed in Descriptive Writing Unit:
- Understand the purpose for writing; to describe
- Identify the intended audience
- Use the “writing process” (prewriting, drafting, revising, proofreading, and editing)
- Write clear, concise sentences
- Observe rules of punctuation, capitalization, and spelling
- Use correct grammatical construction
- Use transitional words and phrases
- Write for an authentic purpose, including publication
Quick Descriptive Writing Unit Overview:
- DAY ONE: Unit Introduction: Student Sample Analysis and Review of Critical Components
- DAY TWO: Prewriting: Place Brainstorm / Place Details
- DAY THREE: Prewriting and Writing: Organize Ideas / Sensory Details / First Draft
- DAY FOUR: Revising: Leads / Adding Voice / Power-Packed Words
- DAY FIVE: Revising: Vivid Details / Transitions / Undernourished Sentences
- DAY SIX: Editing: Self Edit and Peer Edit
- DAY SEVEN: Publish and Share
This detailed Descriptive Writing Unit includes:
- Student Descriptive Writing Samples (3)
- Critical Components Analysis
- Pre-Write Guides: Brainstorm, Place Details, Organizing Ideas, Sensory Details
- Revising Guides: Leads, Voice, Word Choice, Vivid Details, Transition Words and Phrases, Undernourished Phrases
- Editing Guides: Self-Edit Checklist, Peer Edit Guide
- Detailed Lesson Plans (7)
- Descriptive Place Clues
- Key - Critical Components - Sample Analysis
You may also like…
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
*** Click HERE to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
Brain Waves Instruction