Desert Habitat - Comprehensive Unit:
This unit introduces young children to the deserts. As teachers, we know how much children are fascinated with real animals. So, we used photographs of live desert critters. The photographs in this unit are from an award-winning photographer.
Unit Highlights Beginning reader eBook (In My Desert) PowerPoint Desert habitat information PowerPoint Graphing practiceRattlesnake craftBird life cycleIntroduction to food chainsDesert bulletin boards - displays
PowerPoint – In My Desert
This 14-page PowerPoint presentation includes simple text for beginning readers. The text and photos are from the previously published eBook: My World: In My Desert.
PowerPoint – The Desert Habitat
This PowerPoint introduces deserts and desert life. It introduces concepts such as: what is a desert, what animals live in the desert, desert bird life cycle, food chains and other features of deserts. 12 pages.
7 full page color photos and information related to various desert animals. Also included is a color photo of a desert scenic, life cycle of a desert bird, desert food chain and desert vocabulary words.
Large Desert Bulletin Board Display:
This provides directions and materials for an art display approximately 3x5 feet.
• Create a desert habitat background from Kraft or construction paper. Included are suggestions for creating a bulletin board background showing a desert scenic.
• Included are 11 colored photographs of desert animals to place on your display.
• Included are 11 colored photographs of desert animals with the animal’s name to place on your display.
• Included is clipart of cacti plants.
• Option for classroom to add their own art on the desert habitat background.
• Student use the best word to complete simple sentences about deserts.
• Students use the five senses [see, hear, taste, feel and smell] to complete simple sentences about deserts.
• Students color a desert plant/animal.
• Students count animals on a printout. They make a simple bar graph from the results.
• Children make a rattlesnake art craft from simple household materials.
Meets State Standards for Science:
• Life cycles and adaptations of living things to their environment.
• Compare the ways living organisms depend on each other and on their environments - such as food chains.
• Help students develop informational science literacy skills.
You may also like our Comprehensive Units on the Pond Habitat:
Pond Habitat (Pond Biome) - PreK – Grade 2
Forest Habitat (Forest Biome) - PreK – Grade 2
Copyright © Galloping Turtle Books - All Rights Reserved. The purchase of this unit, including the individual parts, is for one teacher only. Other teachers or classrooms must purchase their own individual license. All the individual elements are copyrighted and not in the public domain. Rights do not allow any publication of any parts of the work or uploading to the school website or the internet in any form.
For More Educational Resources:
We are always looking for honest comments and ratings so we can improve our products. You also get earned credits for discounts on future TPT purchases when you leave both a comment and a rating.