Design a Constellation
This is a writing and drawing activity for grades 3 to 5.
Students plan, draw and write about a constellation that is a symbol of something important to them.
It can be used as a stand-alone creative writing, About Me activity, or as a Language Arts activity to support science units: planets and stars; astronomy; space; constellations.
Super for Back to School - About Me activity!
I use this activity with grade 3 classes when they are studying planets and stars in the classroom. I also use it as a fun library activity with grades 4 to grade 5/6 and incorporate books and online media to add a literature/research component.
What is included (please see the preview if you are interested in further details):
student activity pages:
• information page (provides a bit of background information about constellations)
• planning page (instructions for creating own constellation and planning / draft area)
• page for good copy of constellation and corresponding written description of / reflection on the constellation
• page for a 2nd constellation and corresponding written description / reflection
• a second option for a good copy of the constellation (This option is in full page format and is suitable for bulletin board / wall display. The good copy of the constellation is on a full page, and the area for the written part is a half page, which is displayed with the full page constellation.)
• sample constellation to use as example with students
• activity instructions / steps, suggestions for use, suggestions for additional resources, and ideas for several extension activities
Thank you for visiting my TPT store!
About Me, constellations, constellations activity, creative writing, creative writing grade 5, creative writing grade 3, creative writing grade 4, planets and stars, astronomy, space, stars, graphic organizer, worksheets