This is an engaging STEM/STEAM Challenge for supporting your teaching of sound. Students will build a muffler using recycled materials. This resource comes with a 9-slide Powerpoint presentation to activate background knowledge and introduce the topic, as well as step-by-step instructions for teachers and students. A 2-page recording sheet is included to guide students through the engineering process.
With this task, students will be exploring sound by working to create a muffler. Students will work in pairs for this challenge.
- Sound & STEAM Challenge Slide Show (9 slides)
- Includes video link to explain sound, sound-related vocabulary words & definitions, muffler examples, STEAM Challenge instructions
- Muffler STEAM Challenge Recording Sheet
- Teacher Instructions
For the STEAM Challenge, you will need:
- Recording sheet for each student
- Cardboard toilet paper or paper towel rolls (one per student or one per pair)
- Items to be used for muffling sound, such as:
- Bubble wrap (I use this resource as part of my Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day activities, so we always try bubble wrap as a muffler)
- Cotton balls
- Beans or popcorn kernels
- Pom pom balls
- Get creative! A nice variety is great for exploring.