If your Geometry class feels like a Zoo, then maybe you ought to join them! In this integrated 21st Century Math Project, students will put their area and perimeter skills to the test! Focusing on unique shapes, regular polygons & apothems and irregular figures, students determine which exhibits fit which animals needs.
Middle School or High School students will get a kick out of this project which is designed to appeal to both demographics. Nonetheless there is a rigorous backbone to what on the surface may appear to just be oodles of fun.
In this product you will receive a 28 page PDF which includes:
3 different assignments, 1 project, and charts and necessary attachments
- In “Animal Wrangling” students will use area and perimeter skills to meet the different needs of different animals.
- In “Cage Match” students will determine the size of potential exhibits that which includes a basic shapes, regular polygons with apothems, and irregular figures. Which animal best fits in each exhibit? They will calculate and figure it out!
- In “Design a Zoo” students will dive in completely where they will work with a budget of $2,000,000 to select animals and build appropriate exhibits. A little algebra required.
- In "Zoo: Year 1" students will calculate how their choices led to profit. Tally up the student who has the most cash on hand to figure out a winner!
This product is included in the following discounted bundles. SAVE $$$!
• 21st Century Math Projects -- All the Projects
• Pre-Algebra Projects Starter Bundle
• Geometry Projects Starter Bundle
Need an Entire Curriculum?
• 21st Century Pre-Algebra –- the Entire Curriculum
• 21st Century Geometry –- the Entire Curriculum
For more tips, tricks and ideas check out the Clark Creative Education Blog
And join our community where I post ideas, anecdotes, elaborations & every once in a while I pass out TPT gift cards! And jokes! I do jokes too!
Clark Creative Education Facebook Page
This product includes a license for one teacher
only for personal use in their classroom. Licenses are non-transferable
, meaning they can not be passed from one teacher to another. No part of this resource is to be shared with a colleague or used by an entire grade level, school, or district without purchasing the proper number of licenses
. If you are a coach, principal, or district interested in transferable licenses to accommodate yearly staff changes, please contact me for a quote at email@example.com
This resource or answers to the questions may not be uploaded to the internet where it is publicly available in any form
including classroom/personal websites, network drives or student Prezis (can be made private), unless the website or app is password protected and can only be accessed by students.
Thank you for respecting my work!