An organized and well-designed balanced literacy center can show student growth over the entire year. My favorite center that grows with my kinders is our detective center. Get your kinders on mission being letter and word detectives!
This pack features:
- a poster explaining what goals and choices are available (what to do)
- a literacy center icon - 6 bin/materials picture icon labels
- 37 page detective notebook (Students grow from simply copying words, to reading them and noticing chunks, bits and utilizing their reading strategies!)
- 35 focus cards (featuring A-Z, digraphs and beginning reader common phonics patterns)
- tips for adding phonics phones, cameras and silly glasses to make your detectives feel "official"
- Updated Addition: 20 pgs. Detective "Bits" Notebook for higher level readers. Includes igh, ck, ow, ou, ar, silent e, oo, er, aw, ew, oi, ee, y as e, y as i, ai, ay, or, ir, ea
When you put it together what do you get? Focused, exploration of environmental print or in other words, l-e-a-r-n-i-n-g!
Helps Meet Common Core English/Language Arts Standards:
K.RF.1.c-1. Isolate words within printed text. Example: Isolate words using index cards or by circling words.
K.RF.1.c-2. Point to individual words using one-to-one correspondence.
K.RF.1.c. Understand that words are separated by spaces in print.
K.RF.1.d-1. Identify orally at least 50 percent of uppercase letters in random order.
K.RF.1.d-2. Identify orally at least 50 percent of lowercase letters in random order.
K.RL.4.e-2. Break words into sounds to read unknown words.
K.RL.4.e-3. Chunk unknown words into parts to read unknown words.
K.RL.5. Recognize common types of texts (e.g., storybooks, poems).
K.L.1.a-1. Print at least 50% of uppercase letters.
K.L.1.a-2. Print at least 50% of lowercase letters.
K.L.1.a-3. Print all uppercase letters.
K.L.1.a-4. Print all lowercase letters.
K.L.1.f-2. Write by moving left to right and from top to bottom.