This zipped files contains a
• Powerpoint Lesson on developing understanding for the foundation of the quadratic formula.
• A set of directions for using the Smart Notebook file
• A set of guided notes for the students
The smart notebook file contains 23 slides
• The do now has students finding zeros of four quadratic equations two different ways.
• The next two slides shows the solutions to those equations.
• The next two slides introduce students to the concept of completing the square to find zeros of a quadratic equation.
• The next four slides repeat the procedure developed in the last two slides but with new quadratic equations.
• Using the quadratic equation y = x^2 + bx + c the students use the concept developed in the last six slides to find the zeros of this general quadratic equation in the next two slides.
• The next slide shows a quadratic formula for quadratic equations of the form y = x^2 + bx + c. Students are challenged with whether this modified quadratic formula will always have real zeros or are there times when the zeros will be imaginary numbers.
• In the next slide students use the simplified quadratic formula to think about what part of the formula must be positive to have real zeros. Students apply their conjectures to four quadratic equations on the slide.
• The next slide is a repeat of the last slide with four additional quadratic equations.
• In the next slide challenges the students to think about the special quadratic formula and decide what happens if b2 - 4c is zero. Students apply their conjecture to four new quadratic equations.
• To complete this part of the lesson students apply their special quadratic formula to four new quadratic equations to find the zeros. This gives them the opportunity to confirm all their conjectures they have just made.
• The last six slides develop the general quadratic formula for y = ax^2 + bx + c and practice using it to solve some additional quadratic equations.
The directions explain how the teacher can develop the lesson through the 23 slides.
At the conclusion of the lesson student understand two forms for the quadratic formula and they can apply both formulas to solve any quadratic equation.
A set of guided notes can be given to the students to complete during the presentation of the lesson. It gives the students an easy way to take notes on the powerpoint lesson.