In this Dewey Decimal activity, students select from 25 zombie apocalypse scenarios and use symbols from Dewey sections to survive the wilderness, disease, hunger, and brain-thirsty zombies! It's a fun, zombie-fied way to introduce or review Dewey!
Companion product: After the Zombie Apocalypse: A Dewey Decimal Story
This role-playing game can be used before or after teaching the Dewey Decimal System. It and without teaching Dewey in a recent or upcoming lesson. During the game, students will apply Dewey groupings to various survival scenarios.
- 33-slide PowerPoint game (editable)
- complete directions
- Dewey Categories sheet (needed to play game, editable)
- Tool Categories sheet (needed to play game, editable)
- list of specific Dewey numbers for items listed on the Categories sheets (editable)
- students select from 25 scenarios in five categories
- each scenario includes a full-color photo
- "spacer" slide gives students an opportunity to share their solutions
- Don't worry! The zombie scenarios do not include violence or gore. They are survival scenarios that require ingenuity and problem-solving skills.
- Each of the “Tool” categories represents a “hundreds section” in Dewey Decimal classification. For example, “Tool Category #5” contains items that symbolize topics in the 500s section of the library. “Tool Category #11” contains symbols from the 100s section (since students cannot roll a 1 with two dice).
- Use the Tool Categories sheet if you have not yet taught Dewey.
- Use the Dewey Categories sheet if you recently taught Dewey.
- No traditional weapons (guns, knives, etc.) are included in the tool categories, although rocks are included in the 500s toolkit.
I regularly add new products for school librarians and English teachers, particularly at the secondary level, to my store.