Spanish Reading Passage about el Día de Muertos (Day of the dead).
While the reading passage is mostly written in the Simple Present Tense, the vocabulary that is associated with this celebration makes this resource more appropriate for high Spanish 2 or even for Spanish 3 level students. There are simple comprehension questions and other activities to check understanding of the text. There are also two pages that contain vocabulary about el Día de Muertos.
BONUS: Four photos / images associated with el Día de Muertos.
Note: We use the term Día de Muertos as used in Mexico and not Día de los Muertos (which is a translation of the English "Day of the Dead")
The reading passage, all questions and also instructions are 100% in Spanish making it ideal for language immersion classrooms.
Bonus Listening Activity
We have now included this story (without exercises) on a separate page, this time with certain words missing and replaced by a blank line where students can fill in the word they hear from our recording. This recording is in a video on our YouTube channel so students can listen to the stories in Spanish in the classroom or at home.
Here is the audio that accompanies the short stories. It will also give you an idea of the content and level of these short reading passages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8QrYCRXyRk
Note: The audio of the listening only appears on our YouTube channel. The recording is spoken by a native Spanish speaker.
CONTENT: This resource contains 25 Pages:
- Teacher Guide – (1 page)
- Spanish Reading Passage (Version with photo) – (1 page)
- Spanish Reading Passage (Version without photo) – (1 page)
- Spanish Reading Passage for listening activity – (1 page)
- Día de Muertos Spanish Vocabulary – (2 pages)
- Multiple Choice Questions – (1 page)
- True or False – (1 page)
- Who does what? – (1 page)
- Give complete answers – (1 page)
- Altar de ofrendas activity – (1 page)
- Vocabulary with Meaning – Mix and Match – (1 page)
- Teacher Answers – (9 pages)
- Photos/Images of el Día de Muertos – (4 pages)
LEVEL: Intermediate (CEFR – B1 Level) – Spanish 2/3
Please download the preview so you can have a better idea of the quality of this resource and what it contains.
Click Follow Me to receive a message whenever we post any new items (and also whenever we have sales).
¡Qué tengas buen día!
- Angélica y Rob W.