Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) is a Mexican holiday (celebrated on November 1st and 2nd) that celebrates and honors family members who have passed. For students to experience Dia de los Muertos, they are able to create colorful skull masks.
Included in this document:
• 2 student examples of completed masks
• 4 hand-drawn skull masks with designs
• 1 blank skull mask
How to create a skull mask…
1. Make copies of either the blank skull masks (without designs on it) or the hand-drawn skull masks (with designs on it).
2. Have students use markers or crayons to create designs and add color to the masks.
3. Once students have added color, have students cut out the masks’ eyes and glue a popsicle stick to the bottom of the skull mask. Students are also able to glue sequins to their mask to add additional color and sparkle.
4. Skull masks are ready to wear for el Dia de los Muertos! Hope your students enjoy!