Celebrate the Day of the Dead in your classroom with this Interactive Activity Package. Your students will learn vocabulary related to the holiday, color by number "La Gata" , review colors and body parts . Good lesson for a SUB.
The lesson contains:
1) Vocabulary of the Day of the Dead- 14 words with a word bank -Students in small groups will work together to find the meaning of each word in the word bank. Great way for the kids to learn about the holiday independently.
ALTAR - Altar ANGELITOS Spirits of Deceased children
AZÚCAR -Sugar CALACA Skeleton
CALAVERAS- Skulls CEMPAZUCHITL Marigold
COMIDA - Food COPAL- Resin that is burned to produce incense
DULCE - Sweet PAN DE MUERTOS Bread of the Dead
PAPEL PICADO - Perforated paper OFRENDAS- Offerings
RETRATOS-Portraits VELAS Candles
2) Color by Number- Students color " La Gata" Catrina.. She is a perfect symbol of the holiday his her wide gin she resembles the whimsical skeletons used as decorations in the holiday
3) Bookmark- Students will color the bookmark and complete inside the book mark. "Mi pelicula de Horror favorite es..." Great ice breaker homework. you can have each student share their response and collect them. Make a horror movie quilt. One fun fact is that Friday the 13th was translated as Martes 13... changing the superstition from Friday to Tuesday for the Spanish world.
4) Word Search - Students review the 14 terms learned in the vocabulary page.
5) Double Puzzle- Great pair activity. Awesome competition for homework pass. Have students solve the double puzzle. Solution: Dia de los Muertos
6) Papel Picado- Have your students color the papel picado. Collect them and make a banner with them.
7) Mascara- Students can label the face and color it. You can also use it to make a mask attaching a popsicle stick.
DISFRUTEN DEL DIA DE LOS MUERTOS
Dia de los Muertos- Cultural Package- You might want to use both this Interactive Package and my Power Point of the Day of the Dead. The Power Point will help the students resolve the glossary terms. It will also give them a high level understanding of the elements of the holiday
Food Project- Have your students create their own altar .
Feliz Dia de los Muertos