Create your guided reading groups sooner! Save time in the long run by gathering information about your kindergarten or first grade class at the beginning of the year.
Choose from 10 diagnostic literacy assessments
• 1. Written Alphabet (group)
• 2. Written Words (group)
• 3. Spelling (group)
• 4. Dictation (group)
• 5. Letter Names (individual)
• 6. Letter Sounds (individual)
• 7. High Frequency Words (individual)
• 8. Phonetic Words (individual)
• 9. Concepts of Print (individual)
• 10. Running Records (individual)
I wanted to share with you a modified version of the tests I've used for years to create my first guided reading groups and to inform my instruction.
This kit includes a detailed guide to taking running records, but does not supply the leveled texts. I have also made suggestions about how to analyze the assessment results and plan next steps in teaching.
To compile the results, you can use any of these Class and Individual Summaries
• Class Assessment Summary
• Class Letter Summary (Names, Sounds, Forms)
• Class High Frequency Words
• Class Phonetic Words
• Class Decoding Analysis
• Class Guided Reading Levels
• Spelling and Dictation Records
• Individual Assessment Summary
Finally, I've added a Resources for Planning Instruction
section to help you get started with your small and large group instruction:
• Early Literacy Skills Checklist
• Guided Reading Group: First Goals
• Word Wall Words
of using this assessment kit are many. It:
• is flexible
• helps to sort out initial groups
• highlights student literacy strengths and weaknesses
• informs instruction
• targets goals for early lessons
• helps determine words for word wall
• helps you decide where to begin phonics instruction for large or small group
is also available as part of a bundle: BOY MOY EOY Literacy Assessment BUNDLE: K-1
I hope that, with this assessment kit, you an get off to an enjoyable and productive start in guided reading! If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact me!
You can check out my related resources by going to the custom categories at my Teachers Pay Teachers store:
How to get TpT credit to use toward future purchases
1. Go to your My Purchases page.
2. Click on Provide Feedback for the item.
3. Give a rating and a comment—even a short one.
Each time you leave feedback, TpT gives you Feedback Credits that you can apply toward future purchases. It takes just a few seconds!
Be the first to learn about my new freebies, discounts, and products! To become a Follower
, click on the green star next to my store logo, at Many Roads to Reading
: I welcome you to leave a message or question for me at my TpT store ,Many Roads to Reading
, or by email