This project asks students to think of characterization as a recipe "for a person." Students think of all the qualities that make up a person and think about the amount of that quality they have.
1. Have students bring in a copy of a real recipe.
2. Have them identify all the action verbs (Mix, combine, add, etc)
3. Compile a class list so they have a "bank" to use.
4. Discuss measuring amounts, it's helpful to bring in measuring cups and spoons to give them a visual.
5. Have the students brainstorm all the qualities of a character from Anne Frank.
6. Have them organize them by rank of importance.
7. Have them write the recipe according to the sheet.
This can be adapted basically any other piece of literature as well! It works well in any secondary classroom.