This is a fun activity to help students distinguish between fiction and nonfiction. Using the book Diary of a Worm, students will work in groups to find all fictional and facts found using graphic organizers. (The lesson is described in the .pdf)
Then students will create a poster showing the following:
1. Description of fiction and nonfiction
2. Facts and Fictional Elements Found!
3. Researched Questions and Answers inspired by the book
4. Clues a text is fiction or nonfiction
5. Strategies when reading fiction or nonfiction
I used this activity in my classroom after having them do double column notes on the differences and elements of fiction and nonfiction as well as a prezi on fact and fiction.
This activity makes a fun and engaging end of unit assessment.
I hope you enjoy! If so, please leave feedback! :)
Keywords: reading, strategies, genre, fiction, nonfiction, research, diary of a worm, truthme, schoolboxtreasures