Teaching subtraction? Need an engaging activity with real life connections? READ ON!!
+ Materials needed: this resource, a pencil, and a die
+ How to play: for each bowling lane children roll a die and record that number in the subtrahend position. Then they cross off that number of pins as if they knocked them down bowling and record the answers.
+ Extra ideas / pointers:
1) photocopy this resource double sided for extra practice
2) think about planning a fieldtrip to the bowling alley for real life practice
3) ask your PE department if they have a bowling set to borrow to follow up or precede this activity with
4) sometimes dollar trees have tiny bowling sets w/ a marble that could be included in this activity.
5) after students learn how to play, pop it in as a math center
Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions, suggestions, or have a certain resource in mind you'd like me to make!
Happy "bowling"! P.S. we LOVE feedback to helps us hone our craft :)