This bee-themed little-to-no-prep literacy packet is a perfect way to introduce, review, and practice important dictionary skills at any point in the school year. Activities range from introductory and remedial levels through challenge and enrichment levels, allowing you to differentiate and provide valuable practice to all of your learners.
Your students will get lots of valuable practice with ABC Order and guide words with more than 6 printable activities. I created these materials with my 3rd graders in mind, but they can be used appropriately with 2nd graders.
The instructional notes and activities are aligned with the following Common Core ELA-Language Standards:
** Second Grade (L.2.2.E) and (L.2.4.E)
** Third Grade (L.3.2.G) and (L.3.4.D)
You will find the following included, all with bee theme design:
* Relevant Common Core Standards and introduction (1 page)
* ”We Can” CCS posters (2 posters in color, 2 in b&w, and 1 page instructions)
* Teaching slides cover how to determine ABC Order, why we need to understand and do ABC Order, parts of a dictionary page, and how to use guide words (3 pages each in both color and black & white versions) plus 1 page introduction
* Printable - Cut-and-Past Busy Buzzy ABC Order to the First Letter (2 versions plus 1 page instructions and 1 page with keys for both)
* Printable - "Sweet as Honey" ABC Order to the Second Letter (1 page plus 1 page instructions and 1 page key)
* Printable - "Page-by-Page" ABC Order to the Third Letter (1 page plus 1 page instructions and 1 page key)
* Printable - "It's in the Hive" ABC Order challenge puzzle (1 page plus 1 page instructions and 1 page key)
* Printable - "Pick a Posie" Guide Words cut-and-paste activity (1 page plus 1 page instructions and 1 page key)
* Printable - "Buzzing Through the Dictionary" research activity (1 page plus 1 page instructions and 1 page key)
Wherever possible, I’ve provided materials both in color and in black & white.
This packet would be perfect for independent work in your literacy center, or as an all-inclusive mini unit for your sub tub.
Thank you so much for checking out my product! Please contact me with any questions. And if you follow my TpT store by clicking on the green “Follow Me” star up by my picture, you will be the first to hear of new products and sales!
© Copyright by Pamela J. Wendt of Hedgehog Reader
(The Common Core Standards are © Copyright 2010 by National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers; all rights reserved.)