Introduce, review, and practice important dictionary skills with this fall-themed packet of activities!
Your learners will get lots of valuable practice with ABC Order and guide words with 6 printable activities. I created these materials with my 3rd graders in mind, but they can be used appropriately with many 2nd graders. Varied activity levels allow you to differentiate and provide valuable practice to all of your learners.
The instructional notes and activities are aligned with the following Common Core ELA-Language Standards:
** Second Grade (L.2.2.E) and (L.2.4.E)
** Third Grade (L.3.2.G) and (L.3.4.D)
You will find the following included, all with Fall/Autumn theme design:
* Relevant Common Core Standards and introduction (1 page)
* ”We Can” CCS posters (2 posters in color, 2 in b&w, and 1 page instructions)
* Teaching slides cover how to determine ABC Order, why we need to understand and do ABC Order, parts of a dictionary page, and how to use guide words (3 pages each in both color and black & white versions) plus 1 page introduction
* Printable - Cut-and-Past ABC Order to the First Letter (1 page plus 1 page instructions and 1 page key)
* Printable - "A-Corny" ABC Order to the Second Letter (1 page plus 1 page instructions and 1 page key)
* Printable - "Page-by-Page" ABC Order to the Third Letter (1 page plus 1 page instructions and 1 page key)
* Printable - "Nutty Guide Words" cut-and-paste activity (1 page plus 1 page instructions and 1 page key)
* Printable - "Leave It Up to Guide Words" color-by-guide-words activity (1 page plus 1 page instructions and 1 page key)
* Printable - "Raking Through the Dictionary" research activity (1 page plus 1 page instructions and 1 page key)
Wherever possible, I’ve provided materials both in color and in black & white.
This packet would be perfect for independent work in your literacy center, or as an all-inclusive mini unit for your sub tub.
Thank you so much for checking out my product! Please contact me with any questions.
© Pamela J. Wendt of Hedgehog Reader
(The Common Core Standards are © 2010 by National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers; all rights reserved.)