Also included in
- 90 lessons to teach SOCIAL and EMOTIONAL LEARNING (SEL) skills. Empower students to deal with life obstacles, systemic racism, Covid 19, and academic challenges! High-Interest FUN lessons that can be used ANY TIME! Explicitly teach students: HOW to build character, be good citizens, collaborate effe$67.23$134.46Save $67.23
- 24 lessons to help students make informed decisions. Explore fake news, point of view, bias, social media vs traditional news. Detailed lesson plan with discussion points, review questions, slideshow lesson, handouts, and activities. IN-PERSON or ONLINE LEARNING. This life-long tool is great ANY TI$38.50$71.00Save $32.50
- SAVE TIME and MONEY! This bundle includes every single Educircles resource on my TpT store. ⭐ EIGHTEEN (18) people have purchased the EVERTYHING BUNDLE so far! ⭐When you buy this resource, please email me at Mike@educircles.org - I want to make sure you find what you need! TEACHER FEEDBACK about the$138.73$277.46Save $138.73
OPEN-ENDED REAL WORLD critical thinking lesson: Can your students find the lie?
Students watch a live stream video of an online giveaway.
- Did I cheat? Maybe.
- Am I lying? Absolutely.
- Can your students figure out the lie? Let's find out!
The video is also on the first slide of the slideshow lesson!
It goes over:
- 2:03 Why are we doing this?
- 3:00 Why does the video in the challenge look like it's talking to teachers?
- 4:34 What do we do? (Look for clues and inconsistencies) - ANALYSIS
- 5:15 Quick overview of the mini-lesson on 3 critical thinking strategies
- 5:39 Using a student-created checklist to see if I'm lying - EVALUATING
- 7:24 What the class conversation might sound like
- You can get the slideshow for free: Did I Cheat - Slideshow
- You can get the handouts for free: Did I Cheat - Handouts
- If you want the detailed 19-page answer script, you will have to buy the paid version: Did I Cheat - Answers
- Use the optional handouts to provide more structured support for students.
- 44 questions help guide students through the slideshow lesson and critical thinking process.
ABOUT THE LESSON:
Students explore 3 critical thinking strategies:
- USE CRITERIA to analyze and evaluate whether I am lying.
- Become more FULL MINDED and try to figure out what other information you need to figure out if I’m lying.
- Try to be more OPEN MINDED and wonder how the other point of view might be correct.
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE LESSON:
- Distance Learning friendly: Edit the Microsoft Powerpoint™ and Google Slides™ files
- The slideshow is provided in the zipped file. You can preview the NO PREP slideshow lesson here: VIEW the free Did I Cheat Psst I’m lying Round 2 slideshow lesson
- Answer key NOT provided. This is an open-ended real world problem. Sample answers are not provided so that students are not guided towards the "right" answer.
- EMAIL ME at Mike@educircles.org if you want a hint so you can provide some more clues to your students.
This lesson includes a few slides and concepts from the chapter of the .
ABOUT THE Educircles "DID I CHEAT" challenge
Did I Cheat is a series of high-interest, real-world critical thinking activities designed for grades 6 and up.
The free slideshow lessons can be taught at any time. The lesson focuses on slightly different critical thinking examples.
There are currently 2 rounds of the "Did I Cheat?" challenge.
Did I Cheat ROUND 1 ran from APR - JUN 2021
- The critical thinking lesson focuses on “cheating”
- How can we create a way to 1) cheat and get away with it or to 2) be more honest and transparent.
Did I Cheat ROUND 2 Psst I’m Lying runs from NOW - September 30, 2021
- The critical thinking lesson looks at the criteria for “lying” (instead of cheating)
- What additional info do we need to know to figure out if someone is lying?
Version 2.2 STUDENT INTRO VIDEO update (Sep 19, 2021)
- Slide 1 now has a video explaining to students what to do
- Simplified READ ME PDF
- Embedded fonts into the powerpoint so now no one has to worry about installing fonts.
Version 2.1: BIG HINT update (Aug 5, 2021)
- Slide 11 now has talks about where to get a BIG HINT
- READ ME FIRST PDF (FILE 1a) updated to include information about worksheet package and BIG HINT
- (FILE 1b) updated information about the Did I Cheat Psst I’m lying resource
If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the TpT Questions & Answers. You can also email me at Mike@educircles.org