Different Maps for Different Things: Reading Road Maps and Giving Directions!
This geography and map mini-unit is bundled in two larger units below:
Different Maps for Different Things: A 5-Part Geography Unit! Teach Map Skills!
The 11-Resource All Things Geography Bundle!
Buy a geography bundle and save a bundle!
In this highly-engaging mini-unit on road maps and directions, students learn how to read a variety of different road maps and give, interpret, and understand directions to a variety of locations. ✮✮ This resource is now Google 1:1 compatible! ✮✮
This mini-unit begins with students understanding how to read a basic neighborhood map, and students give and follow directions to reach certain locations! Then, students...
- navigate to class (as a student and professor) using a map of a college campus
- interpret and give directions using a highway interstate map of Boston, Massachusetts
- navigate between a variety of historic sites using a tourist map of downtown Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (there are two versions of this activity, one slightly more difficult)
- analyze a map of the National Mall in Washington D.C. and navigate between a variety of historic and national landmarks
- interpret and estimate distances while they camp at a national park!
Students complete a variety of tasks for each lesson contained in this mini-unit to understand how to read road maps and give (and follow) navigational directions!
Tons of fun, good practice with early map skills, and a great component to any unit!
Be sure to follow the History with Mr E Facebook page
, and don't forget to signup for the Social Studies Newsletter
to receive information on flash sales, product releases, and classroom tips!
Be sure to check out the other products in the "Different Maps for Different Things" series:
- Different Maps for Different Things: An Introductory Mini-Unit on Map Reading!
- Different Maps for Different Things: A Population Density Mini-Unit! Engaging!
- Different Maps for Different Things: A Mini-Unit to Make Sense of Climate Maps!
- Different Maps for Different Things: Thematic Maps and Modern Issues!
Looking for a lesson on the Five Themes of Geography? Check out
Five Themes of Geography! Students analyze the 5 themes of Geography! Engaging!
***ATTENTION DISTRICTS AND DEPARTMENTS*** If you are purchasing for your school's department, please buy the appropriate amount of licenses. If it is purchased with school funds, it belongs to the school. If you are a large school district and you are interested in a full district license, please message me and I can work out a quote that is cheaper than what you see.