Explore the world’s 5 major biomes with these biomes reading passages that include everything you need to work on vocabulary and comprehension skills with your students! These printables work great to send home for at home learning or distance learning for both Science or ELA.
Differentiated reading passages (3 levels) allow you to meet the needs of all students to ensure complete understanding of the content! Take a look at the product preview for a closer look at each biome.
All follow-up activities are thoughtfully aligned to the ELA Common Core for Grades 3-6. Reading levels on the passages range from Grade Level Equivalents of 2.5-5.5.
Note: This paper version, along with a digital version Google Slides™ is available here.
Biomes Reading Passages: (16 total)
-“All About Biomes” Introduction (1)
-“All About the Aquatic Biome” (3 Passages, 3 Pages each)
-“All About the Desert Biome” (3 Passages, 2 Pages each)
-“All About the Grassland Biome” (3 Passages, 2 Pages each)
-“All About the Tundra Biome” (3 Passages, 1 Page each)
-“All About the Forest Biome” (3 Passages, 3 Pages each)
Student Materials for Each Passage:
• Vocabulary Preview Charts: Included are 2 options with vocabulary terms only or a chart with the image & definition filled-in.
• Finding Text Evidence: Students color code text evidence in the passage and then write a written response in their own words.
• Graphic Organizer: This is perfect for note-taking and comprehension follow up. The format varies by biome.
• Caption It! Students match images to their captions in a cut and glue activity.
• Using Text Features: Students sort the text feature from the passage onto a graphic organizer and explain its purpose and how it is helpful to the reader.
• Vocabulary Crossword
• Interactive Graphic Organizer: Cut, glue, fold, and write! Students fill in information about each biome's sub-biomes into a 2 page interactive graphic organizer.
• Sub-biomes Venn Diagrams: Students compare and contrast the sub-biomes of each major biome (i.e. arctic vs. alpine tundra).
• Compare & Contrast Venn Diagrams: (3) Students organize information from the passages to fill in Venn Diagrams comparing the major biomes.
• Using Text Evidence: This is an activity where students pack a hypothetical suitcase to bring to a biome. “I’m going to the _____ biome and I need to bring…”
• Research Extension: This is a graphic organizer for students to research plant and animal adaptations for a biome.
• Biomes Sort: Students cut and paste information about each biome onto a sorting mat.
• Biomes Picture Dictionary: This works well as a cumulative writing piece after reading about each biome.
• Blank Copies of all Activity Templates: These blank templates provide instructional flexibility.
These biomes differentiated reading passages can also be found discounted along with Plant Adaptations Reading (by biome) and a visual Biomes Word Wall in the BIOMES BUNDLE!
This product is also part of the Science & ELA Integration Bundle, which is enough differentiated reading passages for the entire year!
You may also be interested in:
© 2016 Raise the Bar Reading