This pack from Mrs Crawford's Store comprises five original short stories complete with two sets of differentiated comprehension exercises for each story. One set is designed for core work while the other set is designed to challenge and extend more able students. This tried and tested pack works well with 10-11 year old students in my class, some of whom are very able, but due to the nature of the differentiated tasks, they will also be useful for older students.
Working from a common text enables whole class discussion and debate at the beginning of the lesson and then the comprehension questions can be tailored according to the needs of your students.
Linked follow up tasks are provided for each story. I find that these tasks are very useful for partner/group work, early finishers, further extension or homework assignments.
Answer keys are included for every set of questions.
The following stories are included in the pack:
1) The Long Arm of the Law - An unlikely felon is on the run.
2) On Top of the World - A mountaineer's life is in the balance as he encounters a sudden storm as he tries to ascend Mount Everest.
3) The Blacksmith - A traditional style fairy tale.
4) Lemon Cheesecake - What happens when a reluctant cook attempts to make a favorite birthday treat.
5) Into the Shadows - A suspense/horror story where a shadow attempts to release itself from its host.