Digital Elements of Poetry Unit - Writing Poems & Figurative Language Activities
- Google Apps™
What educators are saying
Teaching students to read poetry elements and figurative language has never been easier. Students will practice both reading and writing poems through the use of these helpful anchor charts, posters and templates. This one month unit which includes all teaching videos will cover ALL of your poetry teaching needs.
Elements of Poetry Covered:
- ABC Poem
- Acrostic Poem
- Autobiographical Poem
- Ballad Poem
- Chant Poem
- Cinquain Poem
- Color Poem
- Diamante Poem
- Haiku Poem
- Limerick Poem
- Lune Poem
- Ode Poem
- Shape Poem
- Tanka Poem
Figurative Language Covered:
Elements of Poetry Vocabulary Practice:
- Point of View
Check out PDF for the first sample lesson on ABC poems for free.
Each poetry element or figurative language lesson includes 6 slides:
- Lesson Cover Page
- How to Use the Slide Deck Video
- A video introducing the poetry skill and how to find it in reading
- A reading and fluency comprehension page
- A Video Discussing How to Use the Poetry Skill in Poem Writing
- A Poetry Writing Checklist and TEMPLATE
Students will then write their own poem on their digital poetry book or in their printable poetry book.
Three files are included:
- Digital Upload File- Includes 22 Google Slides Lesson Links and 44 Video Links
- Digital Pages Available As PDF (for in person teaching)
- 180 Pages of Printables for In Person Teaching [Poetry Unit]
The 180+ Printable Document Includes:
- A 2 Page Teaching/Pacing Guide
- 22 Anchor Charts (full color and black and white)
- 22 Writing Templates (full color and black and white)
- 24 Page Poetry Writing Book (full color and black and white)
- Poetry Book Writing Rubric
- 22 Reading Comprehension pages (full color and black and white)
- 4 Pages of Vocabulary Practice (3 words per page) These can be used as needed to teach students the vocabulary. They are not explicitly taught in the mini-lessons, as every class will need a different amount of time spent covering the words and a different approach to these words.
This unit was designed for first, second or third graders, but can be adapted for any elementary grade.
Looking for Other Reading Units?
Check out a YEAR of Let's Get Reading Curriculum.
You can also connect with me for first access to my resources, giveaways and FREEBIES via: Email | Website | Instagram | Facebook | Teachers Pay Teachers
Enjoy! Don't forget to leave feedback on all paid purchases for future credit toward free resources.