Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
First graders make sense of their math world and numbers by talking about it! This packet gives your kids ways to talk purposefully about linear measurement and the measurement standards for K-2. Get your students comfortable with distinguishing between measureable and non-measureable attributes, matching linear measurement tools with objects, ordering lengths, non-standard measurement, using a ruler to measure, and finding mistakes in linear measurements based on good attributes of accurate measuring.
Visit my blog for ideas on how I used this in my classroom.
Included in this packet are slides with purposefully planned measurement talks to get K-2 kids talking about length, attributes and rules for measurement. There are multiple talks for each area...20 total measurement talks. Here are the categories addressed with these talks:
• measureable attributes (2)
• finding appropriate tools to measure length (2)
• ordering length of 3 objects (2)
• ordering height of 3 objects (2)
• non-standard measurement using one or two units to compare (4)
• standard measurement and estimation with rulers (4)
• Find the Mistake (measurement examples addressing the following problems with linear measurement: gaps, overlaps, straightness of units, unit size)
This product is available as an interactive powerpoint or pdf file. Plus, a main menu for easy navigation on each page! (Note: navigation links are only available in the PowerPoint file.)
Copyright Whitney Shaddock, 2016, licensed for one classroom use only. Please use the multiple licensing option for more than one classroom use!