Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
First graders make sense of their math world and numbers by talking about it! This packet gives your kids ways to talk purposefully about equality and the meaning of the equal sign. Get your students comfortable with sharing strategies, writing notation to match their thinking, and agreeing and disagreeing in math in a friendly way!
Visit my blog for ideas on how I used this in my classroom.
Included in this packet are slides with purposefully planned equations to get K-2 kids talking about fact families and relating addition and subtraction to solve. There are 3 equations for each "talk" and 20 total talks (that's 60 addition equations to talk about altogether!). There are 4 planned talks for each of the following categories:
• Numbers Only (as in 3 = 3)
• Addition (on the left side or on the right side of the = sign)
• Subtraction (on the left or right side of the = sign)
• Both Sides (as in 3 + 1 = 1 + 3)
• Solve for Box (including beginning, middle and end number positions and also figuring out which symbol goes in the box to make the equation true)
This product is available as an interactive powerpoint or pdf file. Plus, a main menu for easy navigation on each page! (Note: navigation links are only available in the PowerPoint file.)
Copyright Whitney Shaddock, 2016