This digital bundle includes all of my Google Drive paired passages lessons and will continue to grow. Currently, it encompasses 10 lessons for 20 texts. These lessons require students to think critically and synthesize their reading, identifying central ideas across texts. Each lesson guides them through close readings of texts that vary by genre, time period, and author; then the before-, during-, and post-reading strategies help them construct connections between the texts.
The following digital paired passages lessons are included:
- “The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost & “Dream Deferred” by Langston Hughes
- “Ain’t I a Woman?” by Sojourner Truth and “Phenomenal Woman” by Maya Angelou
- “We Wear the Mask” by Paul Laurence Dunbar and “I’m Nobody! Who are you?” by Emily Dickinson
- “Naming Myself” by Barbara Kingsolver and “My Name” by Sandra Cisneros
- “The Gift of the Magi” by O.Henry and “How Do I Love Thee? ” by Elizabeth Barret Browning
- “Speech to the Second Virginia Convention” by Patrick Henry and “The War Prayer” by Mark Twain
- “Mother to Son” by Langston Hughes and excerpt from A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry
- "First Lesson" by Philip Booth and "Those Winter Sundays" by Robert Hayden
- Myths: "How the World Was Made" and "Demeter and Persephone
- "The Tell-Tale Heart" by Edgar Allan Poe and "Sonnet 100" by Fulke Greville
Each lesson culminates in a writing task that imitates the style of a standardized assessment. These lessons incorporate all strands of the Common Core English Language Arts (ELA) Standards. Paired Passage products include the following: lesson plans with identified Common Core Standards, anticipation guides, contextual reading guides and sample annotation passages, sample texts, literature webs and poetry graphic organizers, Venn diagrams, literary analysis prompts, rubrics, and answer keys. Detailed responses for all activities and sample essays are provided in the keys. Furthermore, some include "think-aloud" instructional videos (and these will continue to be added.)
Each lesson includes a PDF file with instructions for teachers, links to Google slides, and answer keys. If you complete one of these lessons each week, they will last you for almost two months! Because of the text variety, they are also great for differentiating and meeting the needs of diverse learners.
This activity can be used with a variety of online learning platforms including Google Classroom™, MS Teams™, Schoology™, and more!
If preferred, each paired passage is available separately or in print form only.
Meaningful and Memorable English Language Arts by © OCBeachTeacher
All rights reserved by author.
Limited to use by purchaser only.
Group licenses available.
Not for public display.