Digital and Print Columbus Day Word Search & Crossword Puzzles, Reading Passage
- Google Apps™
Also included in
- Teach your students about American holidays celebrated in October, November and December with this bundle of 5 resources! There are word searches and crossword puzzles for Columbus Day, Halloween, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas and Hanukkah. Each resource includes 3 word search puzzlesPrice $15.00Original Price $18.75Save $3.75
- These holiday word search and crossword puzzles help you teach your students about 19 Federal and other American holidays. Each resource in this bundle includes 3 word search puzzles at different levels of difficulty and 1 crossword puzzle with a word bank; print and digital versions of all puzzlesPrice $50.50Original Price $63.25Save $12.75
- It can be hard to teach about the Viking Age and early European colonies in North America because there are so many people and places that students learn about. It’s even more difficult for English Language Learners and other students whose reading skills make it hard for them to access grade-levelPrice $32.20Original Price $40.25Save $8.05
Using a reading passage and 3 differentiated word search puzzles plus 1 crossword puzzle, this resource teaches students about Columbus Day. All the puzzles use 20 words related to Christopher Columbus and the impact of his voyages. Please see below for a list of the words. The reading passage and the puzzles come in both Print and Google Drive™ versions.
✓ Please note:
A Boom Learning℠ version of this Columbus Day resource is available HERE.
Resource at a Glance:
* Information about Christopher Columbus and what the impact of his voyages was. * 20 vocabulary words related to the holiday.
All students but especially English Language Learners who are not familiar with the holiday.
* Use it to introduce lessons about the holiday or to extend learning after teaching about the holiday.
* The reading passage provides facts about the life and legacy of Columbus.
* The puzzles can be used for homework, in centers, as fillers, and for early finishers.
* Printable and digital versions mean it can be used both with in-person classes and distance teaching.
* The digital version lets students practice some technology skills.
What you get in this Columbus Day product:
★ A list of materials in the PDF and Google Drive™ files (1 page)
★ Notes to the Teacher (explanatory information for teachers) (1 page)
★ Instructions for accessing the Google Drive™ materials (1 page)
★ Instructions for doing the online versions of the puzzles (4 pages)
★ Reading passage about the life and legacy of Columbus (1 page)
★ 3 word search puzzles with answer keys (6 pages)
★ Word bank for the crossword puzzle (1 page)
★ 1 crossword puzzle with answer key (2 pages)
★ Copyright, related products, social media, and credits information (1 page)
★ Cover page (1 page)
★ Cover page (1 slide)
★ Instructions for doing the online versions of the puzzles (4 slides)
★ Reading passage about the life and legacy of Columbus (1 slide)
★ 3 word search puzzles with answer keys (6 slides)
★ Word bank for the crossword puzzle (1 slide)
★ 1 crossword puzzle with answer key (2 slides)
The reading passage is a short biography of Christopher Columbus. The text is written in easy to understand language so English Language Learners at intermediate and higher levels of language proficiency can comprehend it. It provides background information about Columbus for students who are not familiar with his life and legacy.
The word searches are available at 3 levels of difficulty, based on the direction the words are written in the puzzle, so they can meet the needs of all your students, including English Language Learners. Answer keys are provided for all the puzzles. In addition, there is a word bank for the crossword puzzle for students who need additional support.
Both Print and Google Drive versions are provided for all the Columbus Day puzzles. The PDF file includes teacher notes, instructions for accessing the online materials, instructions for completing the puzzles as well as all the word searches and the crossword puzzle with their answer keys and word bank. The Google Drive materials include directions for using the materials, the word search puzzles and the crossword puzzle, the word bank, and the answer keys for the puzzles.
The words used in the puzzles are: Admiral, Caravel, Caribbean, Columbus, Disease, Expedition, Explorer, Ferdinand, Genoa, Gold, Hispaniola, Indies, Isabella, New World, October, Old World, San Salvador, Slavery, Spain, Taino.
Here are some additional ways you can use the vocabulary words in this resource about Christopher Columbus :
★ For words that may be new, you can have your students find their definitions and use those words in sentences.
★ Students can also draw pictures that illustrate the words to show their understanding.
★ More proficient students can write paragraphs that include some of the words.
★ Extend your students’ learning by having them record their sentences online, for speaking and technology practice.
You can use this resource remotely in 2 ways:
a) When teaching synchronously or asynchronously online, use the Google Drive version.
b) For students to do on their own: Photocopy the puzzle(s) you want your students to do and the appropriate answer key (if you want students to correct their work themselves) and email/send the material home. Alternatively, if students have printers, email the puzzle(s) to them and tell them to print the work out themselves. Tell students what to do and have them email/send you their work when they’ve completed the puzzle(s). Use the rubric to correct the work if you prefer doing that yourself.
Use this resource to help your students learn about the Columbus Day holiday and Columbus the explorer!
You might also like these products:
★ Halloween Activities BUNDLE with Task Cards, Word Searches & Crossword Puzzle
★ Veterans Day Word Search & Crossword Puzzles
★ Thanksgiving Word Search & Crossword Puzzles: Print & Paperless Versions
★ Thanksgiving Math: Fraction Task Cards for ELLs & Mainstream Students (Print & Paperless Versions)
★ U.S. Elections: Vocabulary, Reading, Writing, and Speaking Activities
★ January & February Holidays: Word Search & Crossword Puzzles BUNDLE
If you would like to receive updates about my new products, please click HERE or on the star by my store name at the top of your screen.
You can earn TpT credits that reduce the cost of your future purchases by giving feedback about this product. Just click on the "Comments & Ratings" tab after downloading to leave a comment and a rating. It's that easy!
Thank you and happy teaching!
© 2015 Google Inc. All rights reserved. Google Drive is a trademark of Google Inc. The ESL Nexus is the sole creator of this product and does not claim endorsement or association with Google, Inc.
Common Core Standards © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved. Any claims of correlation or alignment to the CCSS Standards are solely those of The ESL Nexus and have not been evaluated or endorsed by the NGA. The ESL Nexus is the sole creator of this product and does not claim endorsement or association with the creators of the CCSS standards.
Boom Learning and Boom Cards are the trademarks of Boom Learning Inc. Used with permission.