Also included in
- Teach your students about American holidays celebrated in January and February with this bundle of 4 resources! There are word searches and crossword puzzles for New Year’s Day, Martin Luther King Day, Valentine’s Day, and Presidents Day. Each resource includes 3 word search puzzles and 1 crosswor$10.40$13.00Save $2.60
- These holiday word search and crossword puzzles help you teach your students about 19 Federal and other American holidays. Each resource in this bundle includes 3 word search puzzles at different levels of difficulty and 1 crossword puzzle with a word bank. All the puzzles for each holiday use the$46.80$58.50Save $11.70
Here are 3 word search puzzles and 1 crossword puzzle that give your students a fun way to learn about New Year’s Day. All the puzzles use 20 words related to this festive January holiday. Please see below for a list of the words. Printable and digital versions of each puzzle are included.
✓ Please note:
* This resource is also available in a money-saving bundle that includes 4 other word search & crossword puzzle resources about American holidays. You can find the bundle HERE.
* You can also find this resource in another bundle of word search & crossword puzzles for holidays throughout the year; it's available HERE.
Resource at a Glance:
20 vocabulary words related to the holiday.
* English Language Learners who are not familiar with how New Year’s is celebrated in the U.S.
* All students who are learning about New Year's celebrations around the world.
* Use it to introduce lessons about New Year’s Day or to extend learning after teaching about the holiday.
* Puzzles can be used with early finishers, in centers, as fillers when you have a little extra time available, and for homework.
* Printable and digital versions mean it can be used both with in-person classes and distance teaching.
* The digital version lets students practice some technology skills.
The word searches are available at 3 levels of difficulty, based on the direction the words are written in the puzzle, so they can meet the needs of all your students, including English Language Learners. Answer keys are provided for all the puzzles. In addition, there is a word bank for the crossword puzzle for students who need additional support.
Here are some suggestions for using this resource:
★ For words that may be new, you can have your students find their definitions and use those words in sentences.
★ Students can also draw pictures that illustrate the words to show their understanding.
★ More proficient students can write paragraphs or stories that include some of the words.
★ Extend your students’ learning by having them record their sentences or stories online, for speaking and technology practice.
Both Printable and Google Drive™ versions are provided for all the puzzles. The PDF file includes teacher notes, instructions for accessing the online materials, instructions for completing the puzzles as well as all the word searches and the crossword puzzle with their answer keys. The Google Drive™ materials include directions for using the materials, the word search puzzles and the crossword puzzle, and the answer keys for the puzzles.
The words used in the New Year's Day puzzles are: Auld Lang Syne, Baby, Balloons, Champagne, Confetti, Dance, Eve, Fireworks, Floats, football, January, Kiss, Midnight, Parade, Party, Resolution, Rose Bowl, Television, Times Square, Toast.
You can use this New Year's Day resource remotely in 2 ways:
a) When teaching synchronously or asynchronously online, use the Google Drive version.
b) For students to do on their own: Photocopy the puzzle(s) you want your students to do and the appropriate answer key (if you want students to correct their work themselves) and email/send the material home. Alternatively, if students have printers, email the puzzle(s) to them and tell them to print the work out themselves. Tell students what to do and have them email/send you their work when they’ve completed the puzzle(s). Use the rubric to correct the work if you prefer doing that yourself.
Help your students learn about the traditions of New Year’s Day with this resource!
What you get in this product:
★ A list of materials in the PDF and Google Drive™ files (1 page)
★ Notes to the Teacher (explanatory information for teachers) (1 page)
★ Instructions for accessing the Google Drive™ materials (1 page)
★ Instructions for doing the online versions of the puzzles (4 pages)
★ 3 word search puzzles with answer keys (6 pages)
★ Word bank for the crossword puzzle (1 page)
★ 1 crossword puzzle with answer key (2 pages)
★ Copyright, related products, social media, and credits information (1 page)
★ Cover page (1 page)
★ Instructions for doing the online versions of the puzzles (4 slides)
★ 3 word search puzzles with answer keys (6 slides)
★ Word bank for the crossword puzzle (1 slide)
★ 1 crossword puzzle with answer key (2 slides)
★ Cover page (1 slide)
You might also like these holiday products:
If you would like to receive updates about my new products, please click HERE or on the green star under my store name at the top of your screen.
You can earn TpT credits that reduce the cost of your future purchases by giving feedback about this product. Just click on the "Comments & Ratings" tab after downloading to leave a comment and a rating. It's that easy!
Thank you and happy teaching!
© 2015 Google Inc. All rights reserved. Google Drive is a trademark of Google Inc. The ESL Nexus is the sole creator of this product and does not claim endorsement or association with Google, Inc.
Common Core Standards © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved. Any claims of correlation or alignment to the CCSS Standards are solely those of The ESL Nexus and have not been evaluated or endorsed by the NGA. The ESL Nexus is the sole creator of this product and does not claim endorsement or association with the creators of the CCSS standards.