Phonics activity targeting the digraphs sh, ch, ck, ph, th, and wh. 72 cards total on 4 pages. Each card contains an image, a blank space, and the remainder of the target word. Students must complete the blank by adding the correct digraph.
Print, laminate, and cut. If laminated, students can use dry erase markers to complete the digraph. Simply erase and re-use over and over. I pasted my cards onto construction paper before laminating for added color.
After students add the correct digraphs, use cards for:
- Identify rhyming words within a field of the words
- Identify words with given vowel sounds. For example, ask student s to find all the cards that contain the short /a/ sound, etc.
- Use words in a sentence verbally or in writing
- Select a number of cards for students to create short story
- Find semantic relationships among words (ex. shell-beach: You must find a shell at the beach; nickel-check: Both are forms of money; sheep-shark-duck-whale-dolphin: Animals or more specifially shark-duck-whale-dolphin: Animals that swim, etc. etc.)
- Object/word identification: Give students a verbal clue, open-ended sentence, or riddle and have them find the correct word (ex. All of the letters we know make up our "alphabet," What do I do with a lollipop? "lick," The opposite of front is "back," I have a face - There are numbers on my face - You wear me on your wrist - You use me to tell time, What am I? "watch," etc. etc.
- Have students given one another the clues for an extra challenge and to increase student participation.
- Great material for speech sound practice, especially if you are working on /sh/ and /ch/ (all word positions), or /k/ medial and final!
I created these cards to use during speech-language therapy for both individual and group sessions. Can be used for 30 minute sessions or as quick phonics drill/word work at beginning or end of a session. The possibilities are endless and it is simple to think of expanded activities. Be creative and have fun!
Some images are PCS from the Boardmaker program:
The Picture Communication Symbols ©1981–2010 by Mayer-Johnson LLC. All Rights Reserved Worldwide. Used with permission. Boardmaker™ is a trademark of Mayer-Johnson LLC.
2100 Wharton Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
Phone: 1 (800) 588-4548
Fax: 1 (866) 585-6260
Web site: www.mayer-johnson.com
SIMILAR PRODUCT FOR WORD-INITIAL BLENDS: