PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Dimensional Analysis - so valuable for success in middle and high school math and science courses, yet so under-emphasized in our classrooms today! Middle school teachers lament their students' inability to work successfully with measures and rates of varying units. High school teachers voice concerns regarding the fact that their Chemistry and Physics students enter these courses with no background in how to use units to help solve simple to sophisticated word problems. With this in mind, this product has two targeted audiences: (1) middle school math classrooms, addressing Common Core standards related to ratios, rates, and moving between different units of measure and (2) high school sophomore and junior science classrooms, providing a valuable review / crash course in basic dimensional analysis before students begin to work with joules, moles, newtons, calories, etc. Follow the instructions and use these materials step-by-step, and students in either audience will soon not only have the process of using dimensional analysis mastered, but also recognize how valuable it is in simplifying and providing clarity for complicated math and science problems. Complete implementation of this product will take from three to five days, depending upon the prior knowledge and level of ability of the class.
This product is broken down into three “days” of materials (it is left to the teacher to determine whether a “day” really takes a day, or perhaps a day and a half). Each “day” of materials consists of:
1. A “Warm-up” activity. This activity includes of 1 – 5 math problems (with detailed keys for teacher use) and serves three purposes:
- To briefly review prior concepts.
- To get the students’ creative juices flowing for the day.
- To provide a difficult but enticing problem which makes the students want to ask questions and learn more of the content of this mini-unit.
2. Two “Guided Notes” pages. These pages provide an avenue for the students to take notes, ask questions, practice concepts, and have rich discussion under the guidance of the teacher. A detailed key is provided for the teacher, who then works with the students to fill in the various sections of the notes page (poetically entitled the “Review”, the “New”, the “How to Do”, and the “Practice for You”!), asking and answering questions and incorporating discussion along the way.
3. The “Worksheet” for the day. Each of the worksheets are two pages, with increasing level of rigor, both within each worksheet and from one worksheet to the next. Detailed keys are provided so that the teacher may first assist the students and then review the worksheets with them in detail.
Good luck in your use of the Dimensional (Unit) Analysis!
This product is a follow-on product to Ratios, Rates, and Proportions Galore, which provides everything you need to introduce students to ratio, rate, unit rate, and proportion concepts and ensure they understand and retain them!
If you are interested in a more advanced real-world of application of proportions, please see The Outdoor Lesson. This product instructs students on how to use proportions and properties of similar figures to find heights of outdoor objects using indirect measurement.
Feel free to also check out a growing number of other products that use poetry, songs, games, worksheets, and assessments to make math fun and help students to learn a variety of common core math standards.
Click here to view Algebraic Equation Products
Click here to view Divisibility Rule Products
Click here to view Elementary to Middle School Transition Products
Click here to view Fraction Products
Click here to view Geometry Products
Click here to view Integer and Order of Operations Products
Click here to view Probability Products
Click here to view Ratio-Rate-Proportion Products
Click here to view Riddle Card Products that Help Retain Math Essentials
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store.