This document includes four (4) detailed lesson plans (with extension/connection ideas) that can be taught in 30-45 minutes and/or extend over several days, as determined by the needs of the students.
These four lessons cover the following:
- Inquiry, student-driven learning (utilizing multiple learning styles and intelligences)
- Ways to communicate (listening, reading, writing, drawing, dramatic play, and so on)
- Creating dramatic play plans and helping students learn to self-regulate and reflect during extended play
- Writing with purpose
- Reflection resulting in changes to thinking and behavior
- Engaging with fiction and nonfiction literature
- Setting up and helping students learn how to use 4 centers: 1) dramatic play, 2) listening, 3) reading, and 4) bocks/games/puzzles
- Classroom management aspects during independent centers
- Generating interest in reading and conducting research
Please note, these lessons include conducting a read-aloud of Magic Tree House #1: Dinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope Osborne and Magic Tree House Research Guide: Dinosaurs by Will Osborne and Mary Pope Osborne.
These activities in these lesson plans are easily differentiated and/or scaffolded. Therefore, these lessons are appropriate for early childhood (EC) through early elementary (K-3) and/or ESL/EFL/Special Needs students who are beginning readers.