As a special education teacher, I often find it difficult to access reading resources that aren’t too childish for my older learners. Many older students still need phonics instruction, and this resource may be of help to them.
This bundle that features passages with diphthongs (oi & oy; ou & ow) is appropriate for older learners, English language learners, or students with learning disabilities in the area of reading. Three passages for each diphthong pair are ideal for differentiated instruction and assessment. Passages can also be used for whole class close readings.
This bundle includes the following for each diphthong pair:
• Fluency passages/close readings graded at beginning third, fourth, and fifth grades that feature the oi & oy or ou & ow diphthongs. The oi/oy passage is about Moira the astronaut destroying an asteroid, and the ou/ow passage is about Mount Rushmore in South Dakota.
*Student and Teacher Copies
*Can be used for repeated readings
• A poster that explains what a diphthong is and when they are used
• Instructions on how to conduct a fluency assessment
• A word sort that can help students see consistencies within the written
• Two vocabulary worksheets
• Two spelling exercises; one to do independently and one to do in a small group
• A board game to be played with 2+ people
• A fun drawing activity
I recommend students first master long vowel digraphs before attempting diphthongs. Check out the
Long Vowel Digraphs Bundle
for over 75 pages of helpful passages and activities!