Do you need your students to practice the ou and ow diphthongs? Do you want a Common Core aligned resource that requires little to no prep? Then this resource is for you! Administer fluency passages with embedded words with ou and ow diphthongs or direct it as a whole class close reading while learning about Mount Rushmore. Supplement the reading with the included spelling exercises, vocabulary practice, and a fun game and drawing activity to boot! This resource could also be used for substitute lesson plans as the directions are clearly laid out.
This resource contains the following:
1. Student fluency passages graded at 3.7, 4.4, and 5.1 about the American monument Mount Rushmore. (Disclosure: The language used in these passages is such that the passage would not be applicable for students not in the United States. i.e. “George Washington is one of the founders of our nation.”)
2. Teacher copies of passage with ou and ow diphthongs underlined. Can be used for repeated readings using different colored pens.
3. Directions on how to conduct a fluency assessment. Includes type of errors to mark and a table to record accuracy and rate.
4. A poster that defines diphthongs and explains how ou and ow diphthongs are used.
5. Directions on how to administer three activities: Roll & Spell; Look, Say, Cover, Write & Check; a Word Sort.
6. The three activities mentioned above.
7. A follow-up worksheet for the Word Sort that assigns students to write the words in their respective categories: ou diphthong, ow diphthong, and ow digraph.
8. An answer key to the word sort worksheet.
9. Two vocabulary worksheets. One directs students to look up the definitions of eight given words; one assigns students to match the terms to their corresponding sentences.
10. Three worksheets that have students reflect on the passage and answer short writing prompts.
11. A follow-up reading and research activity that asks students to think about the historical significance of Mount Rushmore in regards to the Sioux people.
12. A 26-question board game that can be played with 2+ people.
13. A drawing activity that asks students to draw Mount Rushmore.
Check out other fluency passages by Roadrunner Reading!
Diphthongs oi & oy Fluency Passages with Word Study & Vocabulary Activities
Long Vowel Digraphs Fluency Passages or Close Readings Bundle