Also included in
- Engage students while reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain. These analytical and descriptive writing activities hit standards while maintaining a fun and creative flair! These Tom Sawyer resources are editable. (grades 6-8)Ongoing unit choice boardDescriptive essayAnalytical essayDirec$9.99$11.50Save $1.51
Teaching characterization is getting students to think like a detective! In these activities, students practice analyzing direct and indirect characterization using the STEAL method. Use these as worksheets or have students make a booklet!
What is direct characterization?
An author tells us a character trait:
✅ Javier is smart.
What is indirect characterization?
An author tells us about a character through their speech, thoughts, effect on others, actions, and looks:
✅ Javier can debate a topic from any angle.
✅ Javier thinks carefully about consequences.
✅ Everyone knows Javier is an excellent student.
✅ Javier considers all the options before making a decision.
- Character Detective Worksheet #1: Direct & Indirect Characterization for one character
- Character Detective Worksheet #2: Indirect Characterization using STEAL
- Character Detective Worksheet #3: Direct & Indirect Characterization for four characters
- Detective Booklet: Cover page, Direct Characterization, Indirect Characterization (five pages), Rubric
- Alternate Booklet Pages: Blank cover page, Blank notebook pages, Holistic Rubric, Adaptable Rubric
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ “I loved this activity because it gave students the ability to work on characterization but not in a "boring" or "traditional" way. The kids liked the flip style of the notebook.” -Shannon B.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Loved the rubrics! Great for reviewing characterization.”-Hailey P.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ “Great enrichment activity for characterization.” -I. L.
Did you know that you can towards future TpT purchases by reviewing this product? If you enjoy this product, please leave a review at the product page or through “My Purchases” under “My Account” at TpT. Ratings make the TpT world go round. :)
You can also follow me for the latest news on products and sales.
If you have any questions, I’d love to hear from you!
-Danielle @ Nouvelle ELA