Build comprehension using these 6 nonfiction short passages about famous historical disasters and tragedies, each featuring informational text and 4 multiple-choice questions on one page. Paragraph topics include the great Chicago fire, the San Francisco earthquake, the sinking of the Titanic, the explosion of the Hindenburg, the Boxing Day Tsunami, and Hurricane Katrina. The questions cover a variety of reading skills and are modeled after the types of questions on standardized reading tests. Great way to integrate reading and social studies!
The readability levels of these passages is in the 3rd-5th grade range. Please check the preview to help you determine whether or not they would be suitable for your students. 3rd graders will need more teacher support with decoding and vocabulary. You can purchase with confidence, as I have 32 years of experience in preparing upper elementary students for standardized reading testing!
Here is what you get with this resource:
• Chicago Inferno informational text and questions (1 page)
• Deadly Ocean Motion informational text and questions (1 page)
• Nightmare in the Air informational text and questions (1 page)
• Shake and Break informational text and questions (1 page)
• The Unsinkable Happened informational text and questions (1 page)
• The Wrath of Water and Wind informational text and questions (1 page)
• Answer Key (1 page)
• TOU & Credits (1 page)
These passages have fun titles! As an added critical thinking BONUS, have students explain why they think the title of each reading passage was chosen.
I’d appreciate your purchase, your rating, and your feedback.
Thank you from The Brighter Rewriter!
► SAVE by purchasing the Short Reading Passages BUNDLE
► Click on the ★ to follow me for updates about new products, sales info & more!