This is a collaborative research project about Canada's geography that requires students to role-play as product designers for a fictitious travel association, Travel Canada.
An excellent example of differentiated instruction, students may research any of Canada's provinces or territories to find information that makes their chosen place unique: major landmarks, landforms, major and minor cities, symbols, fun facts, etc.
Working with partners, the team members will then choose one of five products in this assignment to show what they have learned: a PowerPoint presentation, a three-fold travel brochure, a mobile, a game or game board, or a map on poster board.
To meet Writing Across the Curriculum goals, a two-page report on what they learned in the project is also required.
Here are some of the specifics:
For students: the role-playing letter introduction, step-by-step directions for implementation (written in plain English for students to easily understand), a graphic organizer, a research log, and a works cited page to document their sources.
For teachers: a list of required materials, a pacing guide, two rubrics, and a list of acceptable online resources for students to use as they begin their research.
This project is intended as a cumulative assignment to enrich a unit on the USA. It would work best with upper elementary or middle school students. You might modify it for any level, however.
Additionally, this project demands students to demonstrate teamwork skills, research skills, proper MLA citation, 21st century technology skills, the ability to work against a deadline, and much more.
*Note: This is a sister assignment to The Amazing 50 States Geography Research Project
, re-written, however, for Canadian educators (or anyone with an interest in teaching in-depth about Canada).
Last, if you like this offering, would you kindly consider reviewing it for others? Thank you.
If you like this product, consider purchasing these related items from my store:
1. Great Wall of China - PowerPoint Presentation - Ancient Civilizations
2. Ancient Civilizations - Rome - Roman Rulers Research Project with Rubric
3. 50 States & Capital Cities - Worksheets for upper elementary- substitute lesson!
4. Let's Explore Canada! Find Canadian Provinces & More on a Map
5. Absolute & Relative Location Assignment: NFL Football Teams + Google Earth Tour!
6. Fifty (50) Landforms and Bodies of Water Workbook - Visual Dictionary
7. World Cultures Theme Park Map Project - Social Studies/Substitute Lesson
8. The Aquarium Map Scale Project: Geography: Map Tools: Substitute Lesson
9. 100 Social Studies Research Questions Elementary/Middle Grades
10. 50 States & Capital Cities BINGO - 25 Full-Color Game Sheets
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License