How should history remember Cesar Chavez?
Recent museum exhibits, scholars, and even Hollywood movies have glorified the accomplishments and moral courage of Cesar Chavez, the leader of the United Farm Workers. Undoubtedly, Chavez made incredible strides for farm workers laboring in Western fruit and vegetable fields. But was there a darker side to Chavez? In this lesson, students will come to understand the true and complicated character of Chavez.
Throughout the lesson students will:
1) Respond to a Bell Ringer in which they watch a video clip portraying some of the negative aspects of migrant work and conclude what laws should be considered in response.
2) Read an introductory piece about the role of Chavez in aiding migrant workers through the UFW.
3) Watch a movie trailer about a recent movie about Chavez and discuss how the movie seems to portray Chavez.
4) Analyze recent secondary sources regarding the accomplishments and actions of the UFW and Chavez.
5) Synthesize a historical marker conclusion about how Chavez should be remembered by history.
Bonus articles and video clips included!