How did the Women's Suffrage Movement gain the right to vote for females and what impact does the Movement's past successes still have on American women? The extents to which devoted females went to gain the fundamental right of the vote are often overlooked. Also taken for granted is the impact of the 19th Amendment on American society today. In this lesson, students will gain a greater appreciation of the sacrifices and successes of the Women's Suffrage Movement.
During this lesson students will:
1) Participate in a mock vote to demonstrate what it was like before and after female gained the right to vote.
2) Read an introductory article that provides background information about the Women's Suffrage Movement.
3) In a group and photo gallery format, analyze political cartoons and images from the time period pertaining to the Movement.
4) Examine primary and secondary sources and answer related questions about the nature and impact of the Movement.
5) Compose a letter in which you thank a suffragist for their sacrifices and successes.
Bonus Materials Included!