Discrimination in Canada: Government Policy and Discriminatory Actions in Canadian History includes an informational brochure, comprehension questions, and activities surrounding four different events in Canadian history where the Canadian government showed discrimination against a group of people. I have provided an informational brochure for the Komagata Maru, Residential Schools, The Indian Act, and the Chinese Head Tax.
This resource would be beneficial for any grade 4-6 Canadian classroom, but this resource was designed to meet the needs and expectations of the new BC curriculum for grade 5 Social Studies.
Table of Contents:
1. KWL graphic organiser
2. Discrimination in Canada: My learning journey journal
3. Residential schools information brochure
4. Residential schools questions
5. The S.S. Komagata Maru information brochure
6. The Komagata Maru questions
7. The Indian Act information brochure
8. The Indian Act questions
9. The Chinese Head Tax information brochure
10. The Chinese Head Tax questions
11. Create a newspaper article about one of the issues (includes: 5W’s graphic organizer, and 2 newspaper writing templates).
12. Compare the similarities between two discriminatory acts interactive notebook activity.
13. The right to vote in Canada timeline
14. Create a stamp in recognition
15. Create a timeline for a Canadian event