This Pocahontas reading comprehension song and activity teach students about the real life of Pocahontas and her contribution to Jamestown. The song is written as a Pocahontas biography and is perfect for teaching Pocahontas to upper elementary students as it is told at a moderate pace using rap and pop music elements. It also addresses Virginia Studies SOL .3F - describing the hardships faced by settlers at Jamestown and the changes that took place to ensure survival, and .3G - describing the interactions between the English settlers and the native peoples, including the contributions of Powhatan to the survival of the settlers.
Get the free activity here!
Listen with subtitles on YouTube!
This activity includes:
- a list of multiple-choice comprehension questions with the answer key
- a context clues activity: students will define content vocabulary words using context clues in the "True Story of Pocahontas for Kids" song
- a timeline activity with a graphic organizer
- a sequential paragraph activity that utilizes the timeline
How to use this resource:
- Students will preview the comprehension questions on pages 1 and 2 then listen to the song while following along with the lyrics on pages 3 and 4.
- Next, students will answer the questions on pages 1 and 2.
- Students will then complete the context clues, timeline, and sequential paragraph activities on the following pages.
- The answer key for pages 1, 2, and 5 are located on pages 8, 9, and 10.
Click here to follow our store for updates!
Get monthly freebies!
Get a custom-made song for free!
Original music and lyrics by Rap Opera for Kids
Production/mixing, additional instruments, and chorus vocals by Brandon Coffer
You may also like:
Famous Virginians: Virginia Studies 9 Virginia Studies Reading Passages & Songs
Women's History Bundle #1
Marie Curie Famous Female Scientist Biography Reading Activities with Song
Maggie Walker Black History Month Passage with Song
Phillis Wheatley Black History Month Biography Passage with Song
*Disclaimer: Rap Opera for Kids is not affiliated with the Disney brand in any way. Rap Opera for Kids provides educational commentary, parody, and criticism of popular works to supplement class activities for instructional purposes.