An 11-page dissection guide that covers the internal and external anatomy of the sheep heart. This student-led lab is a great activity to examine the structure and function of the mammalian heart for biology students. This comprehensive guide includes a pre-lab reading, student-led external dissection, student-led internal dissection, external anatomy diagram to label, internal anatomy diagram to label, post-dissection review questions, and a full answer key.
Note: Product is an Introductory Dissection
- This guide serves as a basic introduction to the anatomy of the mammalian heart for general biology courses at the 8th - 11th Grade level.
- It is not designed to be a comprehensive or exhaustive exploration of the anatomy and physiology of the circulatory system for more advanced courses.
- Please check the preview carefully to ensure that it fits your curriculum.
Pages 1-2: Pre-Lab Reading Exercise (2 pages)
A short reading assignment to be done prior to the dissection that summarizes the following subjects:
- The role of the heart
- External heart anatomy
- Coronary arteries
- Internal heart anatomy
- Heart valves (e.g. A-V valves, pulmonary valve, aortic/mitral valve)
- Sound of the heart (e.g. lub-dub)
- Blood flow through the heart
- Arteries vs. veins (e.g. pulmonary arteries vs. pulmonary veins)
- Heartbeat and pulse
Pages 3-5: Sheep Heart Dissection Guide (3 pages)
A step-by-step dissection guide for a student-led dissection of the external anatomy and internal anatomy of the sheep heart. The dissection is designed to be completed in one regular class period. The dissection guide includes:
- Materials list
- Labeled photograph of the external anterior view of the sheep heart
- Labeled photograph of the external posterior view of the sheep heart
- Labeled photograph of the interior view of the sheep heart
- Step-by-step instructions with main action steps bolded for clarity
- 2 teacher checkpoints for students to show both progress and understanding of the dissection
- 1 post-dissection clean up checklist that must be signed or stamped by the teacher
Pages 6-7: Supplement: Labeled Sheep Heart Diagrams in Color (2 pages)
A supplemental section that includes large, color, labeled diagrams. I include these two pages because I typically print my dissection guides in black and white to keep printing and photocopying costs low. However, I like to provide my students with a small number of color images that they can refer during the dissection. I typically print off these two pages in color and place them front-to-back in a clear sleeve so that they can be reused year after year. The diagrams included are:
- Labeled photograph of external anterior view of the sheep heart
- Labeled photograph of external posterior view of the sheep heart
- Labeled photograph of interior view of the sheep heart
Pages 8-9: Student Review Document (2 pages)
A student review booklet to be completed during or after the dissection, which includes the following sections:
- Blank diagram of the external features of the sheep heart (includes word bank)
- Blank diagram of the internal features of the sheep heart (includes word bank)
- 9-question review section covering key points of the dissection
Pages 10-11: Answer Key (2 pages)
- Full answer key for both the 2 blank diagrams and 9 review questions
Downloadable in 2 Formats:
- This product comes in 2 formats: a static PDF document and fully-editable Word document
- Download the full PDF preview to see EXACTLY what you are getting!
Relevant NGSS Core Idea(s) Addressed by This Product:
NGSS – HS-LS1.A
- Life Science – From Molecules to Organisms: Structures and Processes – Structure and Function
You Might Also Like the Following Dissection Products:
Dissection - Fetal Pig (HS-LS1.A) (In Development)
Dissection - Frog (HS-LS1.A) (In Development)
Connect with More Science With Mr. Enns Resources:
Be sure to follow my TpT store by clicking on the Follow Me next to my seller picture to receive notifications of new products and upcoming sales.
Copyright © Douglas Enns. All rights reserved by author. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this document are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.