This is a lab you can do with middle grades students to demonstrate how surface area affects the rate/speed of a reaction. It describes a lab where groups of students use room temp water to see which dissolves faster - granulated sugar or a sugar cube.
Contains a lab sheet, data sheet with a place for hypothesis/prediction, and 5 reflection questions.
Products you may also be interested in:
Rate of Reactions PowerPoint
- Describes the different factors that affect the rate of a chemical reaction
Glow Stick Lab
- A partner lab for temperature
Sugar Cube Lab
- A partner lab for temperature.
Rate of Reactions Mini-Unit
- A full week or more of activities including the PowerPoint, all 3 labs, a quiz, and more!
GROWING Chemistry Unit
- An entire unit for middle school chemistry. Currently over halfway finished uploading - the earlier you buy, the more you save!
**Please note that dissolving is actually a PHYSICAL reaction, not a chemical one. The rate is still affected by the same factors - but this is a common misconception among students that we do not want to perpetuate. Make sure to mention it!**
*These files are not editable.