This game is played similar to Dominos. It correlates to CCSS 4.MD.A.2. In this activity, students will match a stated distance with a converted smaller unit of distance. This is a portion of a fourth grade common core standard. The distances converted in this activity are Kilometers to Meters, Meters to Centimeters. Print the train game pieces. Cut the rectangles apart on the solid black lines so that each piece looks like a domino. Mix up the game pieces and have the student use the card that has the “Start” and train engine in front of them. Place the “Finish” card about a foot to the right of the train engine. Have the child continue placing game pieces next to each other by matching the equivalent items. Depending on your work space, the train can be in a straight line, or can make a snaking type pattern.
After the child has assembled the train, check for understanding on the various concepts by asking questions and prompting students to provide responses that demonstrate a deep understanding of the math concepts contained on the game pieces.
Record evidence of what the student says while performing the task.
• Make note of how the student is synthesizing their understanding of multiple representations of numbers.
• Are they making connections to similar problems?
• Does the student use appropriate mathematical language?
• Is the student able to communicate a complete and coherent line of reasoning using different forms of representation?
• Can the student explain whether or not the results make sense?
• Does the student justify the degree of results where appropriate?
Check out my other Train Domino Conversion Activities
Time: Time Train Conversion Activity
Distance: Distance Train Conversion Activity
Weight: Weight Train Conversion Activity
Length: Length Train Conversion Activity
Money: Money Train Conversion Activity