The catastrophic bushfires in Australia and wildfires in California and around the globe captured the world's attention and tore at our hearts. As such, this is an important topic to use with students to engage them in meaningful and significant personal learning about science as a human attempt to save lives, property, flora and fauna.
This is a slimmed down version of a real WebQuest. It still uses engaging real, rich and relevant Web resources (mostly YouTube videos) and prompted activities to help students stretch their learning.
Features of this QuickQuest
- Background information on the science of fire and technological responses.
- Analysis of how technology has changed in response to scientific evidence and innovation.
- Comparison of two effective, but very different approaches to reducing bush / wildfire danger.
- Argument and Reflective writing.
- Extra Online Resources help stretch students' understanding and interests.
Addresses these standards and Curriculum Elements:
Years 4-10: Curriculum Standards / Content Descriptions / Outcomes
- Australian Curriculum Content Descriptions
- Victorian Curriculum Content Descriptions
- New South Wales Syllabus Outcomes
- Common Core and Next Generation Science Standards
Read an overview and see a video explainer at my Blog: TomMarch.com
Also: if you have ideas for other topics for QuickQuests, here's a short form you can use to suggest topics. I really want to hear what you're interested in so I can create needed activities!
If I choose to create a QuickQuest on a topic you suggest, you use it for free.
Please follow me or get in touch: email@example.com